Monday, November 4, 2013

On Tasting for the Masses



I work part-time as a sales associate for the most-visited winery in America, Biltmore Estate Winery  (http://www.biltmore.com/wine/visit-the-winery). In my capacity there, I've had the great opportunity to meet people from all over the world -- both geographically and in their oenological awareness. Yesterday alone, I had folks who had never tasted wine -- ever (i.e. "what's your sweetest wine?) -- and I finished my shift with two people who had the most perceptive noses and taste buds imaginable. The one gentleman correctly identified several obscure grapes in some of our blends.This is not to make comparisons or draw judgments, rather to point out that the greater world of wine tasting needs to meet the needs of those extreme poles and the masses in-between.



Retailers who actually want to sell the wine on their shelves need only ask a question or two to determine what language to speak to the prospective customer.
"What wines do you typically buy for yourself?" Ms. Retailer asked.
"I like a nice Chianti," Dr. Lecter replied.
"Well that sounds nice, but have you ever had a Biltmore Sangiovese?"

Or perhaps the customer tells you "I'm more of a beer drinker, but my wife prefers wine. What would you suggest for me to try?"

The days of the snobby wine sommelier looking down his nose at the unsophisticated diner who didn't know his Bordeaux from a hole in the ground should be a thing of the distant past, as those of us in the wine world look to help the uninitiated explore their own palates, and hopefully broaden the consumers' enjoyment. Smile always, mentor and advise when needed, and thank people for taking the time to stretch their comfort zone a bit.

P.S. I did not want to imply that sweet wines were for the wine neophytes. There are are many nice sweet wines out there: Sauternes, Malvasia, ice wine, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment