Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Power of Suggestion

Power of Suggestion


As I mentioned last week in "Tasting for the Masses," I do work part time at the most-visited winery in these United States -- Biltmore Estate Winery. In that capacity, I'm often asked "what is your favorite wine here?" I'm always quick with my three answers:
1. Whites? Biltmore Chardonnay Sur Lies -- aged 12-14 months in stainless steel on the lees providing a complexity that oak can't.
2. Reds? Biltmore Sangiovese -- the grape of Chianti, but a more luscious interpretation with a richness not unlike Brunello, with hints of oak, dark berries and a lingering chocolate finish.

3. The best Biltmore makes? -- I always direct guests to try the Biltmore Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Dry Creek Valley 2010. An incredible Cab of epic proportions without overpowering the lucky taster. Full-bodied, velvety fruit with soft tannins that hint at aging potential, but great now!

I'm an "OK" sales person -- never pushy, honest, confident -- yet, it still amazes me what the power of suggestion can do. More people mark those wines on their list as "purchasable" than any of the other 33 wines and sparkling wines in our collection. Yes. They are really good wines, but peoples' tastes vary more than that. Some prefer the elegance of the Pinot Noir, or the funky barnyard-ness of the Cardinal's Crest Bordeaux blend, or even the somewhat middle-of-the-road stability of the Century Red; but, statistics show that our suggestions are taken very seriously. The effect of "you've gotta try this wine" is undeniable, and, to an extent, gratifying.

With that in mind, I want to solicit some suggestions from you folks out there. The marketplace will listen. I will listen. And, I will share this with the blog world. Please send me as much detail as you can: picture of the label, where you had it/bought it, price, varietal(s), vintage, region, appellation, vineyard if applicable. Of course, we also want to hear your tasting notes.
I'll post these in the coming weeks in this post under the heading of " Wining Fans' Faves."
For starters, here is a suggestion from Leah M.:

Woodyard Canyon Nelms Road Merlot 2009. Washington St. ~$22 (retail). Smooth and supple. Fruit-forward, but not in an overwhelming fashion like some Merlot's. Had it at a Seattle restaurant.


 
 
 
 
I hope everyone has a lot of suggestions -- have a great and safe week.

No comments:

Post a Comment